Basic Chicken Liver Pate
Delicious way to acess the great benefits of organ meat into the diet. Tasty appetizer and also as a spread.
Shelley H Lane, inspired by Sally Fallon, Nourishing Traditions Coodbook
For 10 Dozen(s)
- 3 tablespoon(s) Animal fat, butter, ghee, bacon fat, lard, or even coconut oil
- 1 pound(s) chicken livers (other livers could be used instead such as beef or duck)
- 0.5 pound(s) mushrooms, fresh, or dried (which must be soaked first)
- 1 whole large onion
- 0.67 cup(s) dry white, or vermouth wine
- 4 part(s) 2 cloves garlic for each part of recipe
- 0.5 teaspoon(s) dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon(s) rosemary or sage
- 2 tablespoon(s) parsley, dill or basil, fresh best, may add more
- 1 teaspoon(s) lemon juice
- 0.5 cup(s) butter, ghee, or coconut oil
- pinch(es) sea salt (to taste)
Basic Chicken Liver Pate Directions
- Melt animal fat in a heavy skillet, (depending on diet restrictions, butter, bacon fat, coconut oil, ghee,etc).
- Brown onions until translucent.
- Add mushrooms, 1/2 of the garlic, livers, stirring until liver is browned.
- Add wine, lemon juice,mustard, lemon juice, and continue cooking uncovered, until liquid absorbed.
- Add rosemary or sage.
- Cool. Process in food processor with softened butter, ghee, or coconut oil, and the rest of the garlic, parsley,dill or basil.
- Salt to taste.
- Scrape out of processor and place into mold.
- Chill. Serve as a spread or on a platter.